By Bob Shannon Central Garage
Any elected official has an ethical and professional obligation to ensure anything they put their name on is truthful, credible and fact based. What appeared on the KW County School Website ( attached ) is none of those. Ms. Morrison elected to use exaggerated claims under a scenario that both she and the members of the BOS know isn’t true. This was indeed a shameful example of what happens when anyone challenges expenditures of the public’s money. It might also explain why it was pulled from the school website within hours of it’s posting.
Throughout 2015 a contested and very public discussion took place over County spending, to include the School Systems Budget Excesses. These excesses were best exemplified by a widely circulated comparison between Nottoway County Schools and King William County Schools. Nottoway has 6 schools and some 300 more students, to King Williams 4 schools. Nottoway had a school budget last year of 19.9 million vs. King William 25.7 million ( these numbers were taken from each County’s websites) The Debt Service cost from 2015 , the amount of money allocated in each budget for servicing past school debt was 2.3 million in KW County, and $230,000.00 in Nottoway, ( 1/10th what is was here ) clearly indicating which School Board has a more frugal approach to debt and spending someone else’s money.
Even allowing for the 2.3 million in Debt Service Costs King William’s 4 Schools are spending $90,000.00 a week more than Nottoway. You need not be a budget expert to recognize something is terribly wrong. The County Schools do a very good job, this isn’t a criticism about the quality of the schools, just one of Leadership not watching tax payers dollars.
Voters paid attention and voted out 3 sitting members of the BOS after weighing the merits of the public discussion. Ms. Morrison demeans Supervisor Hansen & Supervisor Ehrhart for simply following the wishes and intentions of voters who said ENOUGH !
It is incumbent that someone sitting as the Chair of the School Board display impartiality and honesty in all of their public assertions. Whatever Ms. Morrison’s politics are , are her business. It is however a different story when she allows her personal political beliefs to be injected into what should be a fact based honest discussion on the spending of tax dollars. As such Ms. Morrison should immediately resign from her position on the School Board.
Article written by: Tom White
How about this platform for a BOCS candidate:
Public Office is a serious undertaking and I approach this with a strong ethical commitment to do the best job I can, and to serve one term.
- I have specific ideas on how to attract business to King William County, which would bring some relief to the burden homeowners are currently shouldering. Candidates always make this promise to bring in more business but rarely go beyond generalities. My business experience and education will be brought to bear in my service as the 4th District Supervisor.
- I will work with our School Board to identifying areas of savings that could be then used to provide raises to our hard working public school teachers, from those savings. I will work to get our classroom teachers a 5% pay increase; and each school system employee currently earning less than $20,000 a 10% pay increase.
I will not vote for any tax increase, but rather, I will work with each County Department to reduce their budget by 5% each of the following years. This includes the Schools, with no teacher layoffs.
I will work to reduce the Tax .94 cents per 100 assessed value, with a goal of .80, or less, within four years.
- The County ‘checkbook’ must be put on-line, to allow immediate taxpayer knowledge as to where their money is being spent.
Well, hearten those in the Fourth District of King William County (Will I be accused AGAIN of being out of my lane!) for you have such a candidate: David E. Hansen. Here’s Hansen’s bio:
I joined the Naval Reserve while a Junior in High School; and transferred to active duty Army upon college graduation, graduating from OCS, and Ranger/Airborne training prior to my first assignment to the Army Honor Guard. After service as a combat Infantry Platoon Leader in the DMZ of Korea, I served in several overseas assignments. I have a Master’s in Health Science and a Master’s in Business Administration.
At the completion of 12 years military service; I became a State Trooper serving 12 years, prior to entering private industry in Regulatory Compliance, with focus on Training and Risk Management; retiring from FedEx as an operations manager, and 17 years in Corporate Programs analysis, development, and implementation.
Here’s more platform and how to get ahold of David:
1. I will immediately begin the elimination of the forestry exemption for everyone other than family owned land i.e., no LLC will be allowed to take this County tax relief. I believe that agriculture, a ‘family owned farm,’ should remain within a designated Land Use Exemption Program; however, I will sponsor an evaluation of the existing Agriculture (family farm) exemptions, documenting the Federal, and State funding given each vs. the ‘need’ for any additional County support.
2. I support a documentation of every ‘Regional Authority,’ that King William participates in, to include the exact statute requirements with focus on the protection of individual property rights within the County and the absolute minimal required dollar cost of each. This list and support data will be made available for review on the County web page. I do not agree that an ‘unelected’ body has any ‘right’ to infringe upon individual rights. This includes County Departments, who will not be allowed to take any ‘grant’ monies and or make any agreement / commitment without full approval of the majority of the Board of Supervisors prior to taking any money and or making any agreement / commitment.
3. The number one issue in King William is that of the continued devaluation of home ownership coupled with the increasing reliance of tax rate increases upon homeowners. The B.O.S. first priority is to reduce home owner taxes.
You can email David Hansen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be blessed on the campaign trail or it is trial!
Here’s his pix! There are others in KW worth talking about running for supervisor so stay tuned…
Article written by: Elwood "Sandy" Sanders