The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and the results are in for this week’s Watcher’s Council match up.
“You know why there’s a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one.” – Rush Limbaugh
““Guns are our friends because in a country without guns, I’m what’s known as “prey.” All females are.” “ – Ann Coulter
“[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” – James Madison
This weeks’ winning essay, Stately McDaniel Manor’s I Carry A Handgun, Because.. is a real treat, a beautifully written essay that explains exactly why the author chooses being armed as opposed to the alternative! Here’s a slice to whet your appetite for the entire feast:
I do not advertise the fact that I carry a concealed handgun, or that I am an instructor. However, on the occasions when this comes up, people are often amazed. Not because I am a diminutive wisp of a fellow–I’m anything but, and if I do say so myself, and I do, I’m roguishly masculine–but because I am an English teacher and singer, and my default facial expression is a smile. The resulting conversation usually goes like this:
Friend: “Really? You carry a gun?”
Me: “I carry a spear gun in the shower.”
Friend: “No!” The horror and surprise in their eyes is delightful to see.
Me: “No; but everywhere else.”
I usually hit on a few of the high points, issues of logic, common sense, gentle persuasion enabling those that already know me to accept a side of me previously unimagined.. Employing my most frequently used weapon–the keyboard–I’ll endeavor to explain.
I CARRY A HANDGUN BECAUSE:
* Evil exists and may confront anyone at any time and any place.
* I believe God exists and expects me to protect those that can’t protect themselves.
* Self-defense is a God-given, natural, unalienable right.
- There is no gift so precious as God’s gift of life.
To fail to protect God’s greatest gift is inexcusable.
My life is worth far more to me, those that love me, and to a just society than the lives of vicious criminals and terrorists.
The lives of the innocent—friend or stranger—are worth far more to me and to a just society than the lives of vicious criminals and terrorists.
Three times in my life I have raised my right hand and sworn a solemn oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. I have never betrayed those oaths and never will.
By carrying my handgun, I honor the foresight and wisdom of the Founders in writing the Second Amendment.
The Constitution is only paper and ink, a statement of principals and intentions. When the will wavers and when some wish to change, ignore or destroy those principals and intentions for light and transient reasons, only the threat and, if necessary, the application of the force of arms, will suffice to preserve liberty.
A handgun is the most convenient, usual and effective means of self-defense.
Going armed reinforces and upholds the Social Contract.
An armed society is a polite society.
Much more at the link.
In our non-Council category, the winner was noted Middle East commentatorRaymond Ibrahim with Is Islam Violent? Forget the Koran, Let’s Talk About Islam’s PROVEN Historical Record submitted by Joshuapundit. While he left out part of the story (the Indian Genocide during the Muslim conquest alone is estimated at between 1 and 20 million people), the basic point is fairly obvious.
Here are this week’s full results:
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes!–Stately McDaniel Manor – I Carry A Handgun, Because..
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes –Joshuapundit–Hostages, Ransoms, Iran, and Israel – Obama Lies Again
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –VA Right! – McClatchy Report Poll Has Hillary +15 – Polls 50% Democrats and Only 38% Republicans – Unbelievable!
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –Bookworm Room – The fatuous concerns of those 50 GOP “national security experts” challenging Trump
- Fourth place with 2/3 votes –Puma By Design – Hillary Clinton to Sycophantic Journalists When Asked About Black Friends: “They’ve tried to expand my musical tastes.”
- Fifth place with 1/3 vote –The Glittering Eye –We Are The Rich
- First place with 1 2/3 votes!– Raymond Ibrahim – Is Islam Violent? Forget the Koran, Let’s Talk About Islam’s PROVEN Historical Record submitted by Joshuapundit
- Second place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –Moon Of Alabama – The Larger Context Of The Jihadi Attack On Aleppo submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Second place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Roger L. Simon/PJ Media –A HIllary Clinton Presidency Would Be An American Tragedy submitted by Stately McDaniel Manor
- Third place *t* with 1 vote –The National Interest – Why ISIS Fears Israel submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Third place *t* with 1 vote –Politico Magazine – How To Hack An Election In 7 Minutes submitted by The Watcher
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –Ace of Spades HQ–Will The Establishment’s Stalking Horse for Hillary Blow Up the Republican Party?submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –Glen Greenwald/The Intercept – Democrats’ Tactic of Accusing Critics of Kremlin Allegiance Has Long, Ugly History in U.S. submitted by Puma By Design
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –Andrew Michta – A Wake Up Call for Western Elites submitted by The Razor
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 votes –Popehat – Lawsplainer: No, Donald Trump’s “Second Amendment” Comment Isn’t Criminal submitted by VA Right!
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 votes –Betsy McCaughey/IBD – Voters Can Choose Envy Or Growth submitted by The Watcher
See you next week!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum.
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council, and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere, and you won’t want to miss it...or any of the other fantabulous Watcher’s Council content.
Article written by: Tom White